Wednesday 23 February 2011

Photos that look like the spine. (plants)

I have included various photographs that represent my understanding of what the spine looks like in relation to nature. I think this was important due to the fact that I want to explore the various spine forms, patterns and the use of colour before I finally decide on the structure of my piece.


This flower attracted my attention because it was cheerful to look at due to its beatuiful colours.  Individuals gain emotional comfort from the beauty of nature.  On further inspection I noticed that the blue endings were missing at the top and bottom of the plant and this suggested two things to me; one that the plant had yet to mature or two, the flower was infact damaged.  Both of these scenarios can be associated with the human spine and the nerve endings.  Another feature of this plant to be considered is how the colouring has come about.  Do female plants have a pink spine with blue tips and are male plants of this type another colour. 

The colour of these leaves depicted health to me and they made me think about nutrition and well being.  It highlighted to me that the external environment greatly impacted on the health of these leaves i.e. too much heat and the leaves would become dry and crisp and too much rain and the leaves become heavy and bent over.  Comparing this to the human spine, again the environment in which the body is placed affects the health of the spine , as does the amount of nutrition and exercise that we take.   


The structure of this sheaf of wheat simulates the structure of the spine.  It would seem that this sheaf has yet to mature as it seems quite fragile.  However we know that such a plant becomes very strong and when ripe provides a source for many of the foods that we eat.




 For me this image represents the spinal column with the thorns protraying pain that affect this particular area of the body. If we consider the beauty of the rose and then the pain felt when we try to grasp this in our hand, we can see how complex this plant is.  If something happens the stem then the rose dies, similiar to the human body, if something happens to the spine then the associated body part will no longer be able to function.

No comments:

Post a Comment