Wednesday 23 February 2011

Thermochromism

After looking at Do Ho Suh’s work and the use of colour, I was then interested in finding another method of using colour in an interesting fashion in my piece. My research and knowledge told me that it was possible to use materials that change colour when associated with heat.  In the past during a visit to the Tate Modern I seen such a piece.  After many hours on the internet searching Wikipedia  I found what I was looking for, thermochromism!  This is the ability of substance to change colour due to a change in temperature.  Theromochromism is one of several types of chromism and the two basic approaches are based on liquid crystals and leuco-dyes.  Liquid crystals are used in precision applications as their responses can be engineered to accurate temperatures, however the colour range is limited.  Leuco-dye allow a wider range of colours to be used, however their response temperatures are more difficult to set with accuracy.   I would like to use the leuco-dye in relation to my work.
Thermochromic dyes are based on a mixture of leuco-dyes and suitable other chemicals displaying a colour change, dependent on temperature.  The dyes are rarely applied on materials directly but usually in the form of micro-capsules with the mixture sealed inside.
 “Thermochromic paint is relatively recent development in the area of colour-changing pigments.  It involves the use of liquid crystals or leuco dye technology.  After absorbing a certain amount of light or hear, the crystallilc or molecular structure of the pigment reversibly changes in such a way that it absorbs and emits light at a different wavelength than at lower temperatures.” (Wikipedia,2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment